Monday, January 12, 2009

Trusting in God's Protection

. . . Whoever listens to me will live in safety
and be at ease, without fear of harm.
Proverbs 1:33


Have you ever noticed that when God teaches you something (or sometimes in my case when I am teaching on something), he always finds a way for you to practice it right away? Last Saturday, God wanted me to practice what I preach. I spend a lot of time at our barn on the weekend which is 40 miles north of our home. I had told my husband, Greg, I wanted to go home on Saturday night, instead of spending the night because I wanted to put some beans and ham in the crock pot before church.

When I left to go home it was pouring cats and dogs as the old saying goes, and an unusual eerie feeling about riding home on the winding mountain roads in the dark and in the rain crept into my heart. All of those crosses where people have died, that I pass every time I go out there, kept flashing in my mind. Most of the time I am fearless. I will go anywhere, anytime, no matter the conditions, but Saturday night was different.

As I rode home, I prayed a lot. God reminded me of all of the verses that I had poured over all week for the lesson I was preparing to teach on God's protection. I remembered Charles Spurgeon's words on the passage above I chose to study (Proverbs 1:33). He said, "If God cannot save His people under heaven, He will save them in heaven. If the world becomes to hot to hold them, then heaven shall be the place of their reception and their safety." I decided right then to stop worrying and trust God with my life and the lives of my precious family. If I'm not here to take care of them, God will.

And when I really thought about it, what could be better than a quick trip to heaven? NOTHING!! Teaching my Sunday School Class early Sunday morning revealed the proof of God safely delivering me home. No cars hydroplaned over the line to smash me to smithereens like I thought might happen. Praise God! But no matter how God chooses to take me home, I trust his sovereign protection.

I am listening, Lord. I want to live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm. Thank You, Jesus!!

No comments: