Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Not so good days

Have you ever had one of those days when you just felt like nothing? When you didn't want to do anything and you surely didn't feel confident or have a positive attitude about anything? I'm in my second day of it. I asked God, "Am I really supposed to start my blog and a down note?" But it doesn't really matter how we feel about things, God remains on his throne, operating the universe with mercy and grace. He even speaks when our attitude and thoughts are not where they should be. This morning he even made me smile when I didn't think I could.

Not working on my study, the only thing I could handle this morning was my daily reading (I read the Bible through every year). During my last reading of the day in Psalm 40, I began to perk up. . . I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire. . . I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly. . . I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. . . . Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD; may your love and your truth always protect me. For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.

Through this up and down Psalm, God tells us that like David, we are going to have days where even though we know the truth of God's word, we still feel like we are in a pit. I smiled when I read verse 6: but my ears you have pierced (or opened). Yes LORD, you open ears and I thank you for speaking to me, especially when I am poor and needy (vs 17). You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay (vs 17). Listening to you sets my feet on a rock and gives me a firm place to stand (vs 2). Your truth cleanses me and lifts me up. Amen.

No comments: