Thursday, December 13, 2007

What is my purpose for living?

I read about Paul's purpose this morning. He wrote the following to the church in Colosse:

"My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart
and united in love, so that they may have the full riches
of complete understanding, in order that they may know the
mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the
treasures of wisdom and knowledge."
Colossians 2:2-3
Could my purpose be the same as Paul's? If so, who is my "they?" Is it my fellow church members? My family? Orphans in Peru? Muslims in W. Africa? Do I have enough "complete understanding" to share Jesus?
Because I know how much I need encouragement and love, I figure most everyone I meet needs a hefty dose. I can start serving it up right at home. As soon as I wake up, I have a husband, a son, and two daughters to love on and tell how special they are to God--so special Jesus died for them.
How can "they" know Jesus unless I share what little I know about him? I doubt there is time for me to gain the knowledge I think I need before starting to share, either. The mystery was revealed over 2000 years ago when Jesus died on the cross. Time is running out!
So for now, I will continue to dig for the hidden treasures of wisdom and knowledge during my time spent alone with Jesus studying his word. I will ask Jesus to fill my heart with his indescribable love and take the encouragement his promises deliver and give all that I gather to "them," that is whoever crosses my path. This is my purpose for living.

No comments: