Friday, October 31, 2008

Staying in Touch

“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you
great and unsearchable things you do not know.”
Jeremiah 33:3
When first introduced to this verse, a missionary speaking to my church dubbed it as "God's phone number." Ever since, God's phone number remains top on my contact list. With all of this garbage bombarding us on a daily basis like the wacky economy, unemployment, election chaos, cancer and illness (to name a few), we need someone to call, someone who will listen to our woes.
God has provided us with a hot-line and it comes in the form of prayer, but we have to step off the merry-go-round of daily living, sit still for a few minutes and listen. If all we do is call and never listen to the voice at the other end of the line, we won't be able to hear him telling us great and unsearchable things we do not know. I take it God is talking about the future here. We all desire security during troubled times, so I trust finding out what we don't know will give us strength to face any future here on earth, whether bleak or promising.
I'm asking God again to open the ears of our hearts. Please join me in doing our part by taking some time out of our day to sit still and wait for him to tell us some great stuff. One simple way I have found to listen is to do a media fast--turn off the radio in the car when I am by myself. Silence while driving works. Be creative, I'm sure there are plenty of other things we can turn off or refuse to do to make time for listening.
Stay in touch and always listen!

No comments: