Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Helper of the Pilgrims


I lift up my eyes to the hills-
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2
Having an alcoholic in the family brings great challenges. My brother, Jeff, who lives with my dad across the street from me, disappeared with his (heroin-addict) girlfriend, Kelly, on Saturday April 18, 2009, after stealing $30.00 and my dad's cell phone. My dad does not have a land line so this left a 79 year old man without 911.
By Monday I was praying about whether or not to report them as missing. Instead of reporting them I started praying over my brother's 21 page Verizon bill and asked God to give me Kelly's mom's phone number. I just had a feeling she would know her daughter's whereabouts. I want you to know the very first number I dialed out of hundreds of calls was Kelly's mom's phone number (my brother and his girlfriend are obviously phone-a-holics, too). God is amazing! Sure enough, I found out that they were arrested downtown, Saturday night on heroin possession and this when they were supposed to attend Kelly's 8 year old daughter's baptism at church the next morning. (Her mother has custody of her daughter)
God really performed some fancy work to answer my prayers and help this pilgrim work on stopping the chaos in my father's home. It's not over by any means, but I will continue to lift up my eyes to the hills, where my LORD comes from. He helps me with every problem I face. Praise the Maker of heaven and earth, the helper of the pilgrims!
Photo, Dunnigan Hills, by encourager, courtesy of www.flickr.com

No comments: