Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Praying for Balance in an Unstable World.


The economy is unstable. People are losing their jobs. Things are going wrong, or so we think. Does it mean we to give up our big house and move into small rooms? Expenses must be cut. Some of us don't even know how we are going to support those we love.


Pray! Pray! And pray some more! Dig up some promises and hold on tight and don't let go like the ones in Psalm 119:116-117: "Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed. Uphold me, and I will be delivered."


You can also go to the sayings of Agur in Proverbs 30. He prayed specifically for balance when he asked the Lord for two things:


"Two things I ask of you, O LORD;

do not refuse me before I die:

Keep falsehood and lies far from me;

give me neither poverty nor riches,

but give me only my daily bread.

Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you

and say, 'Who is the LORD?'

Or I may become poor and steal,

and so dishonor the name of my God."


David wrote: "I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread" (Psalm 37:25). He has always taken care of us and always will. He is able and will do it.


I have discovered that praying for balance brings contentment in whatever situation I find myself in. I want to trust God's faithfulness today and listen for his promises. In them I find life. Won't you join me?
"Balance" photo by hickoree, courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/

No comments: