Monday, October 1, 2007

Does God Live with You?

During my daily reading I ran across one of those verses that caused me to stop and think:

"I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite
and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly (humble) and to
revive the heart of the contrite" (Isaiah 57:15).

Does God live with me? Am I one who is contrite and lowly in spirit? I had to look up the original Hebrew and do some investigating to find out: Daka (contrite) means to crush, literally into powder. Figuratively it means to be contrite, which is someone who is feeling regret and sorrow for one's sins or offenses; penitent. Shaphal (lowly in spirit) means depressed (literal or figurative), base, humble, lowly.

Am I truly crushed over my sins, humble before the high and Holy One? I have to admit sometimes I get complacent over my position as a saved and forgiven child of God. When God catches me in my complacency like he did when I came across this verse, I do get depressed, literally and figuratively.

O Lord, I so want you to live with me while I'm here on earth struggling with the ins and outs of daily living. I need you desperately. When I think of all you did for me on the cross of Calvary I am overwhelmed with sorrow. How can I ever thank you enough for staying close to me and saving me (Psalm 34:18)? Just thinking about you as my Rescuer, my Savior, and my Lord revives my spirit and my heart, just like you promise in Isaiah 57:15 above. Thank you for being the ultimate Promise-keeper. I love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Amen.

No comments: