Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Have You Heard About God's Celebration over YOU?

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;

the mountains and hills will burst into song before you

and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."

Isaiah 55:12


While celebrating our 25th anniversary my mom went into the hospital, thinking she had possibly had a stroke. My sister chose not to call me until the next morning. My going out in joy came to a halt, or so I thought. My sister's son (my precious nephew) was getting married that Saturday night. My mom, Nanny to most, had to miss her second grandchild's wedding. When it rains it pours, as the old saying goes.


My mom lost vision in her right eye. The hospital tested her all weekend for stroke, but all the tests came up negative. By Monday, frustrated by no answers and an encounter with a difficult-to-deal-with nurse, I insisted we get her to the eye doctor. He quickly informed us she had a stroke in her eye, which resulted in permanent blindness. To top it off, she was scheduled to have cataract surgery on her eye not affected by the stroke the next week. For now, she is three-fourths of the way blind.


Being in the hospital can be described as a waiting game. But as we waited and friends visited, God's joy and peace permeated the room. We laughed and joked. During a visit from the Hospital Chaplain, my mom smiled and told him, "Well, I know I'm going to heaven. The Lord's taking me one piece at a time." We all laughed some more. For God's children, when stress hits its highest level, the Lord steps in. He causes us to go out in joy and be led forth in peace, no matter the circumstances.
I love you, Lord, with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Thank you that weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning (Psalm 30:5).

No comments: