Friday, November 9, 2007

Spiritual Disciplines

A good conscience is a tender conscience. The consciences of the godless may be so calloused that they scarcely ever act at all; but the healthy Christian conscience is constantly in operation, listening for God's voice in his word, seeking to discern his will in everything, active in self-watch and self-judgment. The healthy Christian knows his frailty and always suspects and distrusts himself, lest sin and Satan should be ensnaring him unawares; therefore he regularly grills himself before God, scrutinizing his deeds and motives and ruthlessly condemning himself when he finds within himself moral deficiency and dishonesty.

The healthy Christian has a sense of God's presence stamped deep on his soul, trembles at it, and tests and reforms his life daily in response to it. We can begin to assess our real estate in God's sight by asking ourselves how much exercise of conscience along these lines goes into our own daily living.


J. I. PACKER
Dear Lord,
Please teach me how to be a healthy Christian. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Psalm 139:23-24). Forgive me of my sins and purify me from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). Fill me with your Holy Spirit so I can follow where you lead and serve the way you want me to serve. In the powerful and precious name of Jesus Christ I pray all these things. Amen

No comments: