Monday, March 2, 2009

How do we get from here to there?

The LORD will cause men to hear his majestic voice.

Isaiah 30:30


How to get from here to there represents a universal dilemma. We all want to know if we are doing it right, heading in the right direction, and pursuing the right purpose. But how do you really know? After struggling with this quandary for years, I have finally come to the conclusion that I don't know and never will without hearing his majestic voice. He causes me to hear him by putting me in places that are completely out of my control, like when my aging, diabetic father, who depends on me for help, remains noncompliant of doctors orders. No matter how many times I tell him (and the doctor tells him) the importance of taking medications properly and on time, he still does it his way. I get so frustrated, I just want to scream!
I then have to wave the flag of surrender and say, "Lord, I give up. I can't do this on my own. Please speak to my heart and tell me what to do next." I re-visit old promises like the one in this same chapter of Isaiah that says, "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, "This is the way; walk in it" (Isaiah 30:21).
But I know I can never take promises in God's word out of context. The Lord is rebuking Jerusalem in Isaiah 30. Their only hope was to repent, return to the Lord, and by faith rest only in him, but they refused to listen to his voice and obey. It works the same for me. I have to repent from my attempts to control those around me, especially my family and by faith rest only in God. I'll get there all right, as long as I come to him first, before I get aggravated.
So the Lord must wait for you to come to him
so he can show you his love and compassion.
For the Lord is a faithful God.
Blessed are those who wait for his help.
Isaiah 30:18 (NLT)

No comments: