Thursday, July 5, 2007

Ears That Hear

After Jesus told the Parable of the Sower, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear"(Luke 8:8). So, how do we get ears that hear? The answer is clear in the very next verse: "His disciples asked him what this parable meant" (Luke 8:9). If we want to possess ears that hear we can follow the disciples examply by praying and asking Jesus to explain what we read and study in his word. Just like Jesus did for the disciples, he will take the time to explain it to us if we take the time to sit still and wait for him to do so. But don't we have to be disciples for that to happen?

". . . But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop (Luke 8:15). Disciples have noble and good hearts that listen to God. There is only one way to become a disciple and that is to be saved. "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him (Jesus) from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved" (Romans 10:9-10). "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

The Listening Heart is noble and good only because of what Jesus did for us on the cross. There is no other reason. Hearts are regenerated by the power of the resurrection and immediately granted the ability to hear.

Thank you, Jesus, for giving me a noble and good heart that can hear your precious word. You did not repair my old heart, you gave me a whole new one. Praise the Lord! Help me to persevere every day so I can produce a crop worthy of your holy name. I don't ever want to take advantage of my ability to hear. Speak to me loud and clear and remind me to ask you what your word means. I love you, Lord, with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.

No comments: