Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Great and Precious Promises

Psalm 126 holds a wonderful prayer request and some of those great and precious promises Peter wrote about in 2 Peter 1:4. The request goes like this: We ask God to restore our fortunes or bring back our captives. Since we are not in captivity like the Israelites were, we can customize this request for us today and ask God to restore what Satan has stolen from us. Satan loves to steal our time, especially our time alone with Jesus. He sets up roadblocks of all kinds to stop us from spending time with Jesus. He knows time alone with Jesus is the child of God's greatest treasure.

The second part of this request says to restore our fortunes like streams in the Negev. The Negev is a dry and barren land. For streams to flow there takes the miracle work of God. I feel an urging here to pray expectantly waiting for God to supply his life-giving water into my daily life.

And then comes the promises . . .


Those who sow in tears
will reap with songs of joy.
He who goes out weeping,
carrying seed to sow,
will return with songs of joy,
carrying sheaves with him.
There is so much to weep over in this fallen world. These promises inspire even more requests of my Father in heaven.
Dear Lord,
As I read and study your word, you have filled me up with your seed. I carry it with me wherever I go. Give me your songs of joy so when I share I will return carrying sheaves with me. Thank you, Jesus. I love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Amen.

No comments: