Monday, July 23, 2007

Still Pondering Paul's Prayer for the Colossians

As I completed my study on Revelation this week, the Holy Spirit kept bringing to mind patient endurance. Great endurance and patience is part of the prayer for the Colossians. Paul asked for God to strengthen them with all power according to his glorious might so that they may have great endurance and patience. I followed Paul's example and prayed this prayer over the Christians God places in my life AND over myself. Just as God regularly does, during my study I was reminded how much I need God to answer that prayer.

As God reveals his judgments on the inhabitants of the earth throughout Revelation he stops the commentary twice to say how important endurance and patience is. He says, "This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints (Revelation 13:10). And again in Revelation 14:12, "This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus."

I am truly grateful Paul reminds us to pray in this way. We need it to remain faithful to Jesus, even to the end. It probably would be a good idea to pray this prayer over ourselves more often. I so want to hold tight to to the testimony of Jesus. Amen.

1 comment:

DeeDee said...

Hi Susan! I stopped by for a random visit and I love your writing and inspiring thoughts. I enjoyed the post about second chances...patience and endurance...all of which I need more than anyone! Thanks for the uplift!